The Tewksbury Rod & Gun Club offers a MA State Police approved Basic Firearm Safety course to both its membership and the general public. In order to obtain a License to Carry (LTC) a firearm in the state of Massachusetts, you are required to attend a certified basic firearm safety course. Our course (LTC-007), referred to as the “NRA Home Safety Course“, is approved by the State Police and a certificate will be issued to you as proof of completion.
- Instructors will provide hands on learning in the following areas:
- safe firearm handling
- firearm parts and operation
- ammunition and its function
- shooting fundamentals
- how to select, clean, and store a firearm
- overview of the MA Firearm law
- live fire practical on the club’s fifty foot indoor range
The course is typically held the 3rd Saturday of the month between September and April, except December, as long as a minimum of 5 people register. The day will consist of about eight hours, including breaks and 30 minutes for lunch, running from 8:30 am to about 5:00 pm. Coffee & donuts will be provided in the morning, and hotdogs with fries will be provided for lunch.
The class costs $85 for TR&G Club members or $125 for non-club members. Immediate family (husband, wife, son, daughter) of TR&G Club members are also eligible for a reduced price ($85).
Enrollment will only be confirmed upon receipt of payment.
Maximum Enrollment: 10 (minimum 5)
(Note: Your check will be deposited in order to hold your seat for class. If you are unable to attend class, the next open spot will be held. There are no refunds once a seat has been held.)
Please Note: Students eligible to attend the Basic Firearm Safety course through The Tewksbury Rod & Gun Club are required to be at least 21 years old – the age requirement to obtain a License to Carry in the state of Massachusetts in accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131(a) & (b); . Upon completion of the course, a student roster including your full name and date of birth will be submitted to the office of the Colonel of State Police as required under the Code of Massachusetts Regulations 515 Section 3.04.
Courses are held when a minimum of 5 people preregister.
- January 21, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am
- February 18, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am
- March 18, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am
- April 15, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am
- September 16, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am
- November 18, 2023 - start time: 8:00 am