The Tewksbury Rod Gun Club is proud to offer the Massachusetts Basic Firearm Pistol Course to all interested individuals. This course is designed to teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely. The course will cover firearm safety, pistol parts and operation, ammunition, shooting fundamentals, and pistol maintenance. The course is open to all individuals, regardless of prior firearm experience. Upon successful completion of the course (LTC-007 – “NRA Home Safety Course“), participants will receive a certificate of completion, which satisfies the requirements to apply for a License to Carry LTC or Firearm Identification Card FID in Massachusetts.
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn the essential skills necessary for firearm ownership and use. Contact us to sign up for the course today!
- Instructors will provide hands on learning in the following areas:
- safe firearm handling
- firearm parts and operation
- ammunition and its function
- shooting fundamentals
- how to select, clean, and store a firearm
- overview of the MA Firearm law
- live fire practical on the club’s fifty foot indoor range
The course is typically held the 3rd Saturday of the month between September and April, except December, as long as a minimum of 5 people register. The day will consist of about eight hours, including breaks and 30 minutes for lunch, running from 8:30 am to about 5:00 pm. Coffee & donuts will be provided in the morning, and hotdogs with fries will be provided for lunch.
The class costs $85 for TR&G Club members or $125 for non-club members. Immediate family (husband, wife, son, daughter) of TR&G Club members are also eligible for a reduced price ($85).
Enrollment will only be confirmed upon receipt of payment.
Maximum Enrollment: 10 (minimum 5)
(Note: Your check will be deposited in order to hold your seat for class. If you are unable to attend class, the next open spot will be held. There are no refunds once a seat has been held.)
Please Note: Students eligible to attend the Basic Firearm Safety course through The Tewksbury Rod & Gun Club are required to be at least 21 years old – the age requirement to obtain a License to Carry in the state of Massachusetts in accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131(a) & (b); . Upon completion of the course, a student roster including your full name and date of birth will be submitted to the office of the Colonel of State Police as required under the Code of Massachusetts Regulations 515 Section 3.04.
Also we were recently introduced to the Project ChildSafe program. This program is about promoting firearms safety and education. They are committed to promoting genuine firearms safety through the distribution of safety education messages and free firearm safety kits to communities across the U.S.
Project ChildSafe, now offers a new digital publication that provides easy access to its key educational resources on firearm safety and suicide prevention. The enhanced digital resource is one of the most comprehensive guides on gun safety available to the public today.
This free digital resource can be download here: https://projectchildsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/PCSDigitalBrochure2020.pdf is available for viewing and downloading.
Topics include safe firearm handling, options for secure storage, what to consider when owning a firearm for home security, and the importance of preventing access by at-risk or prohibited persons.
• first-time gun owner educational materials
• overview of safe storage options such as lock boxes and their features
• storing guns securely in vehicles video and brochure
• a suicide prevention resource designed to help parents better understand youth mental health and deter unauthorized access to firearms
• safety messages for children, including NSSF’s award-winning McGruff videos on gun safety, and a child safety pledge
There is no prerequisites to view or download this brochure prior to class, we simply found it a great resource and we’re sure you will agree.
Courses are held when a minimum of 5 people preregister.
- March 16, 2024 - start time: 8:00 am
- April 20, 2024 - start time: 8:00 am
- September 21, 2024 - start time: 8:00 am
- October 19, 2024 - start time: 8:00 am
- November 16, 2024 - start time: 8:00 am